Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Irrelevance

I have an old friend who has held 49ers season tickets for many, many years.

He doesn't live in the Bay Area anymore. Hasn't for years. But he held onto those season tickets when he moved to Portland and still flies back once a year with his wife to catch a game, walk the streets of San Francisco, and get together with my wife and me for dinner.

When this tradition started, I'm pretty sure the main reason for the trip was to see the 49ers play.

Now, I'm pretty sure the San Francisco tourism thing (and maybe the dinner with old friends) is the big deal (if not the reason) behind the trip.

Look: new head coach or not, the 49ers have faded beyond relevance. Who really cares? Does anyone beyond a small tribe of hardcores really live or die with the team anymore?

Heck, weird as they are across the Bay in Oakland, at least those Black Holers are still fired up about their Raiders.

I may be out on a limb here, but it feels to me like the Raiders, with all their problems, are closer to relevance and success than the 49ers.

How did that happen?

I'll ask my Portland friend at dinner this Sunday night.

No comments: